recipe & image via About.com
1 lb sliced beets
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 small seedless cucumber, peeled and quartered
1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon chives
Salt to taste
1. Place beets in bowl of a food processor and whirl until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and puree until velvety. Adjust seasonings. Chill.
2. Garnish with a cucumber slice and chives, if desired.
recipe via F. Connolly, image via avlxyz
Garlic Scapes, sliced vertically
Parsley / Cilantro
1. Boil water with garlic scapes, cilantro/parsley, sesame oil and a little soy sauce.
2. Add udon noodles
3. Add bean sprouts
4. Add an egg (it will poach in the broth)
5. Cook for 7-10 minutes, or until boiling
6. Drizzle Vietnamese (or any Asian) fish sauce over noodles, or top with kimchi and a sliced lime.
7. Poke the yolk immediately before serving.
recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, divided
10 oz cooked, smoked linguica or chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices 2 medium onions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 lb white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6 c. low-salt chicken broth
1 lb. oz fresh spinach
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain.
2. Add onions and garlic to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add all potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Stir in spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
recipe adapted from Vegetarian Planet
3 medium beets (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
6 cups water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
4 teaspoons greek yogurt (optional)
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. In a stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
2. Saute the onion until it is translucent.
3. Add the carrots, ginger, & garlic.
4. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add beets & stock.
6. Simmer, covered, for 50 minutes.
7. Add orange rind & stir well.
8. Puree mixture.
9. Add salt & pepper to taste.
10. Garnish with yogurt & parsley.
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup thinly sliced leek
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons dry white wine|
3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled celeriac (about 3/4 lb.)
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups cooked wild rice
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1. Melt butter in large pan over medium heat. Add leek & carrot; cover & cook 5 minutes.
2. Uncover & cook 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
3. Add celeriac, broth, 1 cup water, salt, & pepper; bring to boil. Cover & cook 10 minutes, until celeriac is tender.
4. Blend mixtures with immersion blender until smooth.
5. Add wild rice; cook 15 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with chives.