recipe adapted from Vegetarian Planet
3 medium beets (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
6 cups water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
4 teaspoons greek yogurt (optional)
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. In a stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
2. Saute the onion until it is translucent.
3. Add the carrots, ginger, & garlic.
4. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add beets & stock.
6. Simmer, covered, for 50 minutes.
7. Add orange rind & stir well.
8. Puree mixture.
9. Add salt & pepper to taste.
10. Garnish with yogurt & parsley.