recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, divided
10 oz cooked, smoked linguica or chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices 2 medium onions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 lb white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6 c. low-salt chicken broth
1 lb. oz fresh spinach
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain.
2. Add onions and garlic to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add all potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Stir in spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve.