recipe via About.com; image via Joy in Creating.
For the strained Greek yogurt, just pop up to any Greek store in Astoria or possibly a Turkish place around here and I think you will find it. It is super thick so it holds up to the watery nature of the cucumber without the dip getting runny. Serve with warm large pita rounds that have been cut into trianbgles and brushed with oregano and olive oil.
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 cup greek yogurt, strained
1 cup sour cream
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 tsp. chopped fresh dill
1. Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
2. Using a whisk, blend the yogurt with the sour cream.
3. Add the olive oil mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
4. Add the cucumber and chopped fresh dill.
5. Chill for at least two hours and garnish with a sprig of of fresh dill just before serving.