recipe via NY1; image via Serious Eats
What makes the Baja-style tacos unique is that they are simply served with thinly-sliced white cabbage, chopped cilantro and a lime mayonnaise. To make lime mayonnaise, mix up regular mayonnaise with a generous amount of lime juice squeezed into it, which helps thin out the mayonnaise and give it a nice citrus punch.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Corn or flour tortillas
Cajun spice rub
1. Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts crosswise into thin slices, drizzle a little olive oil on top of them and generously season them with the Cajun spice rub.
2. The chicken can be cooked outside on the grill or in a large nonstick pan or in a heavy cast iron skillet. If a skillet is used, add a little splash of oil and cook the chicken on both sides until it is cooked through but not dried out.
3. Now, assemble the tacos. Put two or three soft shells on a plate and top them with some cooked chicken, a little shredded cabbage, some of the lime mayonnaise and a sprinkling of fresh-chopped cilantro.
Recipe and image via Rockin Robin
How can you not love a recipe by someone named “Rockin Robin”?
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup basmati rice**
1 1/2 cups chicken or veg broth
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
zest from one lime
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1. Add the oil to a sauce pan and heat on low. Add the garlic and rice to the oil and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat stirring frequently.
2. Add the broth, salt, lime juice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or according to rice package directions.
3. When the rice is done, add lime zest and chopped cilantro and stir to mix in. Serve immediately.
**If you are using regular long grain rice, follow the cooking directions on the box regarding the amount of liquid to use and the cooking time.
recipe and image via fridgeandtunnel
Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
1 small jalapeno with some seeds, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
2 packed cups (1 bunch) chopped fresh chard leaves and tender stalks
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained, not rinsed
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup finely diced red onion
1. Whisk lime juice, oil, jalapeno, garlic, & salt in a medium bowl.
2. Add the chard, beans, tomato, and red onion and gently toss.
3. Serve at room temperature.