Zucchini – several pieces
Cucumbers – 2-3 pieces
Swiss Chard – 1 bunch
Cippolini Onions – 1 bunch
Broccoli – 2-3 pieces
Garlic – 1 large or 2 medium heads
Beets – 1 quart
Batavian – Green & Red- 2 baby heads
*Contents of the share may fluctuate over the week.
Peaches – 1 bag
Apricots – 1 bag
Blackberries -OR- Blueberries
Milk Not Jails Dairy Share
Dairy share pick up is weekly. Don’t forget your milk!
Beyond the bountiful harvest, a few friendly reminders:
CSA BBQ Sat, July 28th 4pm
Join your fellow CSA’ers for an evening barbeque at Sunnyside Gardens Park! Bring your friends and family, grilling items and a dish to share. Please RSVP by July 25th.
Lewis Waite Farm CSA Extras
Order your Lewis Waite extras now and have your burgers and brats in time for the CSA BBQ! Order deadline is Sunday, July 22nd for delivery on July 26th.
Milk Not Jails Monthly Specials
It’s time again to make your à la carte dairy purchases from Milk Not Jails. Milk, yogurt, butter, ice cream and more! Order and pay online. Deadline is Monday, July 23rd at 5pm for delivery on August 2nd.
Continue reading In the Box: Summer, Week #8
recipe and image via Stephen Cooks!
Serve warm as a vegetable side to roast meat or at room temp, cut up in a salad. Cipollini can be prepared ahead and kept refrigerated for a few days.
1 1/4 lb cipollini onions, unpeeled
four sprigs fresh rosemary, thyme or oregano, chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1. Place enough water in a sauce pan large enough to comfortably hold the cipollini. Bring the water to a boil.
2. Score an X in the root end of each onion and boil them in the water for 60 seconds. Drain and allow to cool. (This step makes peeling them a bit easier). Once cooled, cut off the roots and stems and remove the onion peels.
3. Preheat the oven to 450º.
4. Place the onions in a shallow dish or pan big enough to hold them all in one layer without crowding.
5. Combine the wine, soy sauce, vinegar and olive oil. Pour the mixture over the onions. Scatter on the herbs.
6. Roast in the preheated 450º oven for about 40 minutes, turning twice.