1 ½ lbs. kale
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, halved and sliced thin
½ tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.
2. Wash the kale in several changes of cold water, stripping off the leafy green portion from both sides of the central vein. Discard the veins and rip the leafy portions in small pieces.
3. Add the kale and 1 teaspoon salt to the water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking until the onions are a rich brown color, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat if at anytime the onions start to burn.
6. Add the kale and cook, tossing well, until heated through and evenly flavored with the onions, 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Add the vinegar and a generous amount of pepper.
8. Adjust the seasonings and serve immediately.