Please DO NOT be late; our members expect to be able to pick up their vegetables at 5:00 pm.
You will meet one of our site coordinators at the entrance to Sunnyside Community Services at 4:30 pm. In the event that they are not there please begin the tasks below.
If any members arrive before 5:00 pm, ask them to wait until you are ready.
- Uncover veg shares – There should be boxes with root vegetable shares or frozen vegetable share stacked against the wall and covered with our blue tarp. There may also be apple and cider shares, boxes from Lewis Waite, and/or fish shares. If a 3:30 volunteer took a half share, the remaining ½ share should be there with a note indicating the name on the share as well as a label on the box with the name of their share partner who will pick up the remainder.
- Supplies are in the plastic tub – Remove knife and cutting board and place on one of the available tables. Pens and scratch paper should be available as well. There should be two sign-in sheets: one for veg/fruit/herb and a separate one for dairy.
- Sign in – In the Site Log Book, write the date, your name and your shift time, and record any issues you encounter during your shift.
- Write the week’s share contents out on the whiteboard – There should be a paper from the farm listing the week’s veg and fruit share contents. Copy these onto the whiteboard.
- Empty boxes go on the hand truck – Make sure the hand truck is not blocking a doorway and start stacking the empty veg boxes. Throughout the shift make sure the boxes stay neatly stacked.
- Lewis Waite – If there are also Lewis Waite products, these can be set up separately from the vegetable distribution. There will be a manila envelope with a separate sheet for you to check people off as they collect their orders; any checks they give you should be put in the stamped envelope. Each item of the order is labeled.
- Begin distribution – Your primary responsibility is to check off members and then allow them to retrieve their share(s). For apple, cider and fish shares and Lewis Waite products, you should personally hand out these products to ensure that they are distributed correctly. For members who are splitting a share, you will check off the share when the first shareholder arrives. If they will leave ½ of the share for their partner to pick up later, instruct them to label the ½ share with their partner’s name, and leave it under the tables. Those members who are splitting a share are solely responsible for ensuring that their partner gets an equal share.
- Throughout distribution – Keep the floor clean of scraps. There should be brooms and dustpans nearby. Make sure the empty boxes are neatly stacked on the hand truck. If there are any problems contact the site coordinator.
- Hand over to 6:15 volunteers – a new set of volunteers will arrive at 6:15 pm to replace you. Pass on any special instructions to them.
Thank you for volunteering! We couldn’t do it without you!