photo copyright Natalie Maynor
recipe via CD Kitchen
3/4 pound sweet potato or yam
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup chickpeas – cooked
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic
Fresh ground black pepper
2 scallions — cut into 1″ pieces
6 tablespoons of unbleached flour
2 teaspoons cumin seed — lightly toasted
1 cup peas **If you use frozen peas, you do not need to defrost them first.
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root – minced
veg. oil or olive oil-for sauteing
1. Peel and dice the sweet potato or yam, and cook it in boiling water until soft–about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces. Drain well. (Or cook the whole sweet potato in the microwave until soft, then peel.) You should have about 1 1/2 cups of cooked sweet potato.
2. Transfer to a food processor. Add all the other ingredients, except the flour, peas and oil. Puree until fairly smooth. (The mixture might be very thick, depending on the sweet potato or yam, so be patient with this process.) Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the flour until it is thoroughly incorporated, then gently stir in the peas.
3. Form into large or small patties. To make them uniform or professional looking, use a 1/4-cup-capacity ice cream scoop or a 1/4-cup measure to scoop up the mixture. Then pat each one down until it is about 1/2-inch thick and 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
4. Place a skillet over medium heat and add a little bit of oil. When the oil is very hot, add the patties and saute for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and heated through.
5. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.