Recipe via CSA member, Joy Marr; Image via Maggie Hoffman
This recipe is pretty easy, and pretty good, too. The muffins take a little longer than two minutes, but it’s simple enough that it can easily be made in between nappy changes. You may want to reduce the sugar a bit. Just keep in mind that red currants are sufficiently tart, so you may find you prefer the amount of sugar suggested in the recipe.
1 cup red currants
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teasp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in centre of mixture.
2. Combine egg, milk and oil; add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
3. Gently stir in red currants. Spoon into greased muffin pans filling 2/3 full.
4. Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 min.
5. Remove muffins frm pans immediately.
Yield: approx 10 muffins.